Thursday, March 22, 2012

DIY Kitchen Drawer Liners

So, I am a bit crafty, but the visions for projects do not always appear in reality as they do in my head. Oh well. So I wanted to remove the Christmas wrapping I had lining the kitchen drawers, and figured I would use the tons of scrapbooking paper I have lying around. And to add to the cleanups in the future rather than throwing the next liner away, I decided to use contact paper to cover the paper. That way I could just wipe it off and reinsert.

Seems easy enough right?....Riiiight.

Before...


All you need is
  • scrapbook paper (or any decorative paper)
  • scissors
  • ruler / tape measure
  • contact paper
So after I measured everything (still managed to FUBAR that little task, but anywhoo), I picked the paper I wanted to use and cut out the contact paper to size.

I taped down the contact paper so it wouldn't curl up on me too much and laid out the scrapbook paper.


So far so good, right? Riiiight.

I noticed that my contact paper wasn't very sticky. I don't know if contact paper has gotten weaker over the years or the roll I had was older than I thought ( a couple months), but it puffed up at the edges and looked bad.

So I brought out the spray adhesive. Probably should have sprayed it on the contact paper and not the scrapbook paper, because the alcohol content of the spray distorted the color or the paper – and it still didn't work well!

Then I tried my fail-proof "glue dots" that fix EVERYTHING...until now...

Oh well, I am sure there is a better way to do this. Right now, I am (moderately) happy (read: can't be bothered to fuss) with the look. Anyway, the paper is hidden under utensils anyway.

There might not seem to be much of a difference between the before and after, but trust me, there is!

No comments:

Post a Comment