Thursday, April 5, 2012

In the News


image from freephotosbank.com
photographer David Lockeretz



Several topics going on today in the world as it relates to the most devoted of animal lovers.

There is concern that dyeing chicks sends the wrong message to children who get these live "peeps" for the holiday...really? Do we even need this as a tradition? Who started this? And when did coloring live animals have anything to do with a man dying on the cross for your sins?! There are some lawmakers not to right in sunny Florida. The sun's fried their common sense.

I'm not sure how I feel about this protest. On one hand, I get that zoos are ideally a place for us to see animals we wouldn't normally get a chance to, or that they open a child's curiosity to the animal kingdom. But at the same time, these creatures are prisoners, and I myself can't go to zoos anymore because one day I might hurt someone's pesky brat that is mercilessly tapping on the glass of some unfortunate creature about 1 foot from the sign that says not to, while mom and dad look on like idiots. That one is a tough call for me.

This just breaks my heart, a rescue of dogs subjected to fights in the Philippines. Ever since I learned from The Dog Whisperer that a dog is a dog first and its breed second, I have a new appreciation for pit bulls. What is so sad is that (1) these animals have already been put down for their poor condition, (2) some of them were rescues from a previous raid, (3) and the Philippines doesn't even have (thank dog,) a real market for dog fights—these fights are broadcast to other countries!

Good news! After all the bad, finish this off with something good from North Dakota. Stiffer penalties for animal abusers.

I know some people get all up in arms that animal rights activists, or just vegans and vegetarians love animals more than they do other people. Not true. (Usually. This coming from a New Yorker, in a city where people push your tolerance button daily.) Most of us just feel for those that can speak for or defend themselves. Is that so bad?



W76X4TRBKZ2S

No comments:

Post a Comment